Angel Tree Christmas
What was your best Christmas gift? Perhaps it was the one that was the most unexpected. Or perhaps it was one that came from someone who was very special. Perhaps the meaning behind the gift was more important than the gift itself. This year the Spring Garden Community is invited to give a special gift to a child living in our area who is separated from a parent in jail. Your role is to buy and wrap the gift and deliver it to the family on behalf of the prisoner. In effect you become the hands and feet of those who do not have a means of buying anything for their child.
You may wish to sponsor one child, or a whole family. You can sponsor as an individual, a family or a group. We are also happy to pair up people who are willing to deliver with those who are able to make the purchases. We also encourage inviting the family’s we sponsor to join us for one of our Christmas gatherings (Light of the World, Christmas Eve, etc.). In these ways of giving we offer families the hope of a community ready to receive them all year long.
Gifts are to be $30 per sponsored child. Care packages for the whole family are also welcomed but not required.
Choose your own adventure! In the same way that angels are working in different ways, so you can be part of showing God’s care in a way that fits you best. You can do one, all, or any combination of the following activities:
Sponsor a child. Sponsor a family. Sponsor by yourself. Sponsor with your friends/family. Sponsor with a group. Shop for a gift. Shop on behalf of others who aren’t able to shop. Deliver a gift to the family/child(ren). Deliver gifts on behalf of others who aren’t able to deliver. Make a care package for your sponsored family. Make a care package for a family someone else is sponsoring. Help greet visitors throughout Christmas (Light of the World, Christmas eve) as some of our sponsored children and families may join us. Pray for the sponsored children and families specifically (we can give you names) or generally.
The way it works:
1. You or your group lets us know how many children you would like to sponsor or if you would like to sponsor a family
2. We will give you information on the child/family (gift suggestions from the caregiver, names and address)
3. You purchase and wrap the gift(s)—around $30 per child (it’s important you stay near this so that all kids get presents of same value)
4. When a whole family is being sponsored, you and any who are sponsoring the family with you are welcomed to make a care package for the whole family
5. You (and any who are sponsoring children in the same family) facilitate delivering the gift(s)* to the family on the prisoner’s behalf before Dec 24th (gifts are labeled from the imprisoned parent, gift packages can be labelled as coming from you). *We are happy to help with facilitating delivery if you are not able. You can also choose to sponsor a “remote” child/family who does not live nearby and mail the gifts*
6. If you are comfortable and it seems appropriate, you are encouraged to invite the caregiver and children to any of our Christmas gatherings (Light of the World, Christmas eve).
For more information or to sign up to sponsor a child or family: contact Victoria Shipmaker at email@example.com
Prison Fellowship Angel Tree Christmas: http://prisonfellowship.ca/angel-tree-christmas/